Asphalt Paving Sub-Foreman
- Responsible for safe, profitable and efficient operations on all assigned projects. Completes projects within budget and schedule approved by the owner or representative.
- Conducts all work in accordance with Mid Atlantic Asphalt policies, procedures and programs. Mid Atlantic Asphalt Core Values
- Communicates models and continuously reinforces Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s culture and leadership practices with Project Manager, including Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Values, Health & Safety and Delay Free Production.
- Order material for job.
- Responsible for final plan of execution. Initial plan will be provided by Project Manager.
- Execute the plan on a given job.
- Manage material inventory.
- Communicate equipment repair needs.
- Initiate a Maintenance plan/checklist.
- Coordination on the job - during work.
- AM and PM toolbox training on job site.
- Cross - training the crew. Identify the educational needs of others, and train or instruct them of appropriate methods.
- Accurately and thoroughly complete work orders daily.
- Collect all trucking tickets, plant tickets, equipment rental receipts related to projects and turn into Project Manager in an organized fashion.
- Verifies measurements, slope tolerance and thickness for compliance with job plan.
- Ensure the crew represents the company well to the customer and the public.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Correctly calculate and order job materials when necessary.
- Responsible for the way in which a given job gets done.
- Promote a team approach and maintain dialogue with all employees to exchange information and gather ideas.
- Collaborate with any project teams on other special initiatives, as required.
- Participate as a vital team member, and contribute towards the success of the company, which may involve the provision of other technical and administrative support, as required
- Gains complete understanding of plan details and specifications of the project assigned including man-hour budget and material budget; communicates plan details to Project Manager and Paving Foreman.
- Develops a master plan of operation, coordinates the plan with Project Manager prior to starting work and effectively communicates the plan to appropriate personnel.
- Participates in the preparation and communication of construction execution plan, progress schedules and projection of labor and equipment requirements.
- When needed, may participate in the pre-construction and post-construction meeting with the owner or the owner representative and/or appropriate government regulatory agencies.
- Manages suppliers in conjunction with Project Manager to ensure safety, profit, scheduling and customer satisfaction.
- Develops delay free work operations.
- Plans and organizes work to maximize potential crew productivity by employing delay free production; maximizes equipment utilization levels by ensuring availability and operator effectiveness.
- Coordinates with Project Manager on the project needs for equipment and labor.
TECHNICAL (Delay Free Production/Quality)
- Responsible for day-to-day quality control of company-performed work.
- Identifies and corrects non-conforming work in an efficient and competent manner.
- Ensures that all work performed, and products/materials used meet the Mid Atlantic Asphalt standard of workmanship and comply with contractual standards and specifications.
JOB SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Valid driver’s license is preferred.
- Ability to travel out of town during the week or on weekends
- Ability to lift heavy equipment
- Excellent stamina
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Implements and monitors Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Health & Safety Program including the coordination of project activities to ensure compliance with all government regulatory guidelines and agencies.
- Assists estimating in the bidding process when needed.
- Assists Project Manager in the pre-construction planning process when needed.
- Reviews the project specifications for potential hazards.
- Reviews safety issues discussed at pre-construction meeting with Project Manager.
- Promotes and enforces Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Health & Safety Program with field personnel and reviews safety plans for scheduled work.
- Communicates safety expectations with Project Manager and paving personnel including documentation, safety violations, accidents and preventative measures.
- Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of project and arranges for recruitment or assignment of project personnel to specific responsibilities.
- Monitors, directs and coordinates activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Project Manager, other Superintendent’s, other Project Managers, General Contractors and the customer to implement successful project plans.
- Supervises, maintains communication and mentors/coaches paving personnel.
- Encourages and promotes teamwork, motivation, people development and retention within the Paving Team.
- Communicates, follows and enforces the companies Employee Manual, Health & Safety Manual and all company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates Leadership qualities.
- Is Proactive, Accountable, Discerning, Innovative, Collaborative, Integrity Based, Successful and Balanced.
- Is an Influencer, Continual Learner, Teacher/Coach and Agent of Change.
- Understands and is fully knowledgeable of project contract documents, plans, specifications, shop drawings and all other documents related to the project.
- When necessary, inspects job site and documents for any preexisting conditions.
- Ensures and verifies accurate layout.
- Maintains professional relationships with owner, engineer, general contractors, other superintendents, other project managers, paving crew and other members of the construction team.
- Ensures appropriate parties are informed of major changes in the construction plan or reallocation of resources.
- Identifies, measures and reports work changes as they pertain to the contract document to Project Manager and Project Manager.
- Works with Project Managers and other company representatives to develop job schedule that is consistent with company’s responsibilities and commitments.
- Reviews schedule during project to ensure deadlines are met; notifies appropriate parties of all delays or potential delays and completes necessary documentation.
- Attends pre-construction and construction meetings as necessary.
- Constantly verifies material and resource delivery requirements and ensures adequate flow as to not impede work progress.
- Identifies potential and actual work delays and develops/implements recovery plan; delivers project on schedule.
- Monitors crew hours and material tonnage; reviews job costs with Project Manager.
- Administers timely and accurate paperwork/documentation for project activities to include, work orders, T & M and project tickets.
- Supervise/Lead Paving Crew.
- Directs the activities of Paving Crew, Subcontractors and other suppliers.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required (equivalent work experience will be considered).
- Minimum 6 years of construction experience with at least 2 years of construction supervisory experience required.
- Experience in multiple trade disciplines preferred
- OSHA 30-hour certification required (those not having this credential must certify or be enrolled in a certification course within 6 months of hire/promotion)
- Valid driver’s license required
Technical: Delay free production, labor and equipment reporting, operations means and methods, planning and logistics, preconstruction planning, quality control/assurance, safety policies and procedures, safe work procedures.
Business: Relationship Project Manager.
Leadership/Project Manager: Accountability, change Project Manager, coaching/mentoring, company policies, decision making, leadership, people development, progress reporting, supervisory, training/teaching.
Personal Attributes/Skills: Business ethics/integrity, conflict resolution, diversity, influence/persuasion, listening skills, negotiating, oral communications, problem solving, time Project Manager, written communications.
- Regularly requires the ability to sit, use hands/fingers, reach, talk or hear.
- Regularly requires the ability to stand, walk, taste or smell.
- Regularly requires the ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Regularly requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Regularly requires the following specific types of vision: close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Exposure to the following environmental conditions: moving mechanical parts, high/precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic/caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, work with vibration.
- Subject to loud noise levels due to equipment operation.
- Position requires extensive travel to and from job sites.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement plan with up to a 3% company match.
- Vacation/Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
Please Follow these steps:
- Fill out application form below along with submitting your resume.
- Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your resume in the form below.