Asphalt Paving Superintendent
- Responsible for safe, profitable and efficient operations on all assigned projects. Completes projects within budget and schedule approved by the owner or representative.
- Conducts all work in accordance with Mid Atlantic Asphalt policies, procedures and programs. Mid Atlantic Asphalt Core Values
- Communicates models and continuously reinforces Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s culture and leadership practices with Management, including Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Values, Health & Safety, Delay Free Production and Ethics Policy.
- Gains complete understanding of plan details and specifications of the project assigned including man-hour budget and material budget; communicates plan details to Management and Paving Foreman.
- Develops a master plan of operation, coordinates the plan with Management and the Paving Foreman prior to starting work and effectively communicates the plan to appropriate personnel.
- Participates in the preparation and communication of construction execution plan, progress schedules and projection of labor and equipment requirements.
- When needed, may participate in the pre-construction and post-construction meeting with the owner or the owner representative and/or appropriate government regulatory agencies.
- Manages suppliers and subcontractors in conjunction with Management to ensure safety, profit, scheduling and customer satisfaction.
- Develops delay free work operations.
- Plans and organizes work to maximize potential crew productivity by employing delay free production; maximizes equipment utilization levels by ensuring availability and operator effectiveness.
- Coordinates with Management on the project needs for equipment and labor.
TECHNICAL (Delay Free Production/Quality)
- Responsible for day-to-day quality control of both company-performed and subcontractor work.
- Identifies and corrects non-conforming work in an efficient and competent manner.
- Ensures that all work performed, and products/materials used meet the Mid Atlantic Asphalt standard of workmanship and comply with contractual standards and specifications.
- Implements and monitors Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Health & Safety Program including the coordination of project activities to ensure compliance with all government regulatory guidelines and agencies.
- Directly responsible for subcontractor compliance with Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Health & Safety Program.
- Assists estimating in the bidding process when needed.
- Assists Management in the pre-construction planning process when needed.
- Reviews the project specifications for potential hazards.
- Reviews safety issues discussed at pre-construction meeting with Management and Paving Foreman.
- Promotes and enforces Mid Atlantic Asphalt’s Health & Safety Program with field personnel and subcontractors and reviews safety plans for scheduled work.
- Communicates safety expectations with Management, Paving Foreman and paving personnel including documentation, safety violations, accidents and preventative measures.
- Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of project and arranges for recruitment or assignment of project personnel to specific responsibilities.
- Monitors, directs and coordinates activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Management, other Superintendent’s, other Project Managers, General Contractors and the customer to implement successful project plans.
- Supervises, maintains communication and mentors/coaches Paving Foreman and paving personnel.
- Assists Paving Foreman in the management process of crews.
- May involve Paving Foreman in developmental activities such as the in-house pre-construction planning process and development of the project schedule.
- Encourages and promotes teamwork, motivation, people development and retention within the Paving Team.
- Communicates, follows and enforces Management, Employee Manual, Health & Safety Manual and all company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates Leadership qualities.
- Is Proactive, Accountable, Discerning, Innovative, Collaborative, Integrity Based, Successful and Balanced.
- Is an Influencer, Continual Learner, Teacher/Coach and Agent of Change.
- Builds project in accordance with all plans and specifications; ensures compliance with all building codes and local ordinances.
- May require permit verification and documents inspections in accordance with company and regulatory guidelines.
- Understands and is fully knowledgeable of project contract documents, plans, specifications, subcontracts, purchase orders, shop drawings and all other documents related to the project.
- When necessary, inspects job site and documents for any preexisting conditions.
- Ensures and verifies accurate layout.
- Maintains professional relationships with owner, engineer, general contractors, other superintendents, other project managers, paving crew and other members of the construction team.
- Ensures appropriate parties are informed of major changes in the construction plan or reallocation of resources.
- Identifies, measures and reports work changes as they pertain to the contract document to Management and Project Manager.
- Participates in pricing any changed or additional work.
- Works with Project Managers and other company representatives to develop job schedule that is consistent with company’s responsibilities and commitments.
- Reviews schedule during project to ensure deadlines are met; notifies appropriate parties of all delays or potential delays and completes necessary documentation.
- Preplans and communicates project activities using short interval schedules as required.
- Attends pre-construction and construction meetings as necessary.
- Constantly verifies material and resource delivery requirements and ensures adequate flow as to not impede work progress.
- Identifies potential and actual work delays and develops/implements recovery plan; delivers project on schedule.
- Interprets and monitors crew cost reports and crew cost factors; reviews job costs with Project Manager and Management.
- Administers timely and accurate paperwork/documentation for project activities to include change orders, T & M, and purchase orders.
- Supervises Paving Foreman and Paving Crew.
- Directs the activities of Paving Crew, Subcontractors and other suppliers when necessary.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required (equivalent work experience will be considered).
- Minimum 6 years of construction experience with at least 2 years of construction supervisory experience required.
- Experience in multiple trade disciplines preferred
- OSHA 30-hour certification required (those not having this credential must certify or be enrolled in a certification course within 6 months of hire/promotion)
- Valid driver’s license required
Technical: Change order management, delay free production, labor and equipment reporting, operations means and methods, planning and scheduling, preconstruction planning, quality control/assurance, safety policies and procedures, safe work procedures.
Business: Relationship management.
Leadership/Management: Accountability, change management, coaching/mentoring, company policies, decision making, leadership, people development, progress reporting, supervisory, training/teaching.
Personal Attributes/Skills: Business ethics/integrity, conflict resolution, diversity, influence/persuasion, listening skills, negotiating, oral communications, problem solving, time management, written communications.
- Regularly requires the ability to sit, use hands/fingers, reach, talk or hear.
- Frequently requires the ability to stand, walk, taste or smell.
- Requires the ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Requires the following specific types of vision: close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Exposure to the following environmental conditions: moving mechanical parts, high/precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic/caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, work with explosives and vibration.
- Subject to loud noise levels due to equipment operation.
- Position requires extensive travel to and from field sites to monitor status of projects.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Retirement plan with up to a 3% company match.
- Company Phone
Please Follow these steps:
- Fill out application form below along with submitting your resume.
- Submit your resume to email@example.com or upload your resume in the form below.